How To Use Water Resistant Grease For Bearings
Maintaining Corrosion Resistant Bearings Underwater
Bearings are an essential part of many machines and industrial equipment, as they help reduce friction and wear between moving parts. Proper upkeep of underwater bearings is incredibly important to ensure their smooth operation and extend their lifespan.
In this blog, we will discuss the importance of correctly lubricating submerged bearings and provide some tips on how to do it effectively with the best grease for wet bearings.
What Are Submerged Bearings?
First, let's start by understanding what submerged bearings are and how they work. Submerged bearings are bearings that are fully or partially immersed in a liquid, such as oil or water. They are typically used in applications, such as in water pumps, marine equipment, and hydroelectric power plants.
Ceramic bearings and those fabricated from silicon nitride can operate in wet conditions, and while bearing types like 316 stainless steel can be subjected to some water, they cannot be fully submerged. No matter the material, all wheel bearings should be properly lubricated and protected.
Submerged bearings are often subjected to high loads and high-speed conditions which means they are prone to wear and tear. Therefore, proper lubrication is essential to reduce friction, dissipate heat, and prevent wear on the bearing surfaces. Using the right type of grease can help prolong the life of the bearing and ensure its smooth operation.
How Should You Lubricate Submerged Bearings?
So, how do you correctly lubricate submerged bearings with grease? Here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Use The Right Type Of Grease: It is important to use grease that is compatible with the bearing material and the operating environment. For submerged bearings, water-resistant greases are typically recommended.
2. Use The Correct Amount Of Grease: Over-lubrication can cause excess heat and shorten the lifespan of the bearing, while under-lubrication can result in insufficient protection and increase wear on the bearing surfaces. It is important to use the recommended amount of grease as specified by the manufacturer.
3. Regularly Inspect And Refill The Grease: Submerged bearings should be inspected and refilled with grease at regular intervals, as recommended by the manufacturer. This will ensure that the bearings are properly lubricated at all times.
4. Clean The Bearing Surfaces Before Lubricating: It is important to clean the bearing surfaces before lubricating to remove any dirt or debris that may have accumulated. This will ensure that the grease can effectively coat the bearing surfaces and provide proper lubrication.
In summary, properly lubricating submerged bearings with the right type of grease are essential to ensure their smooth operation and extend their lifespan. By following the tips outlined above, you can effectively lubricate your submerged bearings and keep your equipment running smoothly.
What Grease Should You Use For Submerged Bearings?
While waterproof grease is the recommended choice, no lubricant is truly fully waterproof. This can complicate finding the right product for your application and industry, however, our team has developed a range of water-resistant grease suitable for any environment.
Calcium Sulphate Grease
Protean Ultima 2
TF8404 - Submersive Extreme
Submersive Extreme is our superior and highly versatile grease, specially developed to resist extreme water wash-off and heavy loads. Part of our innovative food-safe range PROTEAN, this grease is ideal for the food processing industry.
- High dropping point (this is the temperature limit at which a grease retains its structure before it starts to drip)
- High load-carrying performance
- Excellent resistance to water and corrosion
- NSF: H1 registered (suitable for food manufacturing environments)
We recommend this for low to medium-speed bearings operating submerged in water, under harsh environments keeping bearings running in dirty and underwater environments.
TG9804 - Calcium Sulphate Grease
This is our superior quality, extremely stable calcium sulphonate complex grease, designed to provide exceptional load capacity and be highly resistant to water. One of the best multi-purpose grease options, calcium sulphonate can be subjected to demanding conditions.
- Extended lubrication intervals for cost savings
- Salt water-resistant
- Protection from corrosion
- Extreme pressure performance for wear protection
This grease is ideal for use in anti-friction applications such as plain bearings and sliding surfaces. The wide temperature range, running up to 150oC allows versatility in harsh, particularly high loads and wet environments.
TF6304 - Ultima 2
PROTEAN Ultima is a fantastic multi-purpose grease enhanced with PTFE, extreme pressure and anti-wear additives. This grease performs well in wet and saturated environments and can withstand high-load conditions. Ideal for bearings, chains and gears, this grease streamlines food-grade lubricants. Compared to Submersive Extreme, the change in viscosity makes these two greases a good merge point.
- Essential grease for food environments
- Excellent anti-wear performance
- Offers long-lasting lubrication
PROTEAN Ultima 2 is a NSF H1 registered grease that's perfect for Food & Beverage, Packaging, Pharmaceutical and other cleanroom environments, and can be applied manually or with a grease gun
Still Need Some Tips On Submerged Bearings?
If you're still unsure which of our products is best suited for your application, our team is always on hand with advice. You can also book a free on-site audit with one of our techincal experts, or, see how these lubricants have helped Huntapac with their submerged bearing systems.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Recieve our latest weekly releases, offers, guides and more.